My Novels

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Rainy Sunday

I'll get right to my prompt for today before I fall asleep on this rainy day!

Describe 5 things you want to do or see before it's too late.

Unlike a lot of people, I've never had a "bucket list"...so this is a somewhat difficult prompt. Most of the time I'm content to be where I am, doing what I am (even if that is nothing but familiar routine).

I've never been much of a traveler; got my fill of it in my 30s when I accompanied my sister/brother-in-law on many business trips. At one point I decided if you've seen one strip mall, you've seen them all. Yes, every place has its unique, off-tourist-map charms, but I think only locals could do justice to those.

Here's my list:

5. If there's one singular place I'd like to see I guess it would be New York City. Frankly, there's nothing to prevent a trip there...but I suppose my desire to see it is not as great as my lack of enthusiasm. Often I'd just as soon look at Google map/street view and/or good pictures of that city. Or even watch a good movie set in NYC.

4.The only other place I might like to visit would be England, non-specific area, just the general area. I don't have a passport, but there's no reason why I couldn't get one. And like seeing NYC, there's nothing standing in the way of it: I have the financial means. Of course, leaving my pets could be a problem, though relatives would take care of them.

Really though, there's no reason I couldn't visit both places if I was just burning to do so. Apparently I'm not.

3. I'd like to have a new car. I'm looking around half-heartedly. The car I have is only a few years old, and my last experience with a new car (it was totaled in a wreck, not my fault) did little to convince me putting that kind of money into a moving vehicle is worth it. I don't take long road trips anyway; mostly drive around here in town. In fact, every time I have my car serviced, they note how few miles I've put on it. One of the techs said last time, "Don't drive much, do ya?"

2. Someday I would like to live in a condo, or at least a place that has no outside maintenance and little inside either. So tired of maintenance issues. On the other hand, I'm not at that point yet, because owning a home allows me to have pets. Yes, I could have maybe a couple pets at a condo...but not as much freedom to tailor living arrangements as I see fit for the pets. Like doggie doors, etc.

1. And that brings me to my real one wish: to have a large dog. Hopefully a Doberman, though the right dog wouldn't have to be breed-specific. I am looking all the time, and do want a rescue and/or one someone has to part with due to a valid reason. I'd take a puppy, but NOT from a puppy mill or backyard breeder; it just encourages them to continue that practice.

As for what is preventing this: I know handling a large dog is very different to having small dogs, and am unsure of my ability in that regard. My dogs would have to adapt to another dog, not sure if they could. So that makes my search more difficult, about specific aspects. Sigh.

It should go without stating that I would like to get involved in my creative writing again, but there's only one reason I haven't: procrastination! Or in writer lingo: Failure to apply seat of pants to desk chair. :-)

Not the fantasy list I think a lot of people would make! But for me, at this time in my life, that's it.

No comments: