My Novels

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

New Year's Resolutions?

Do I have any I really want to list. Yes, I do:

1. No more funeral home visitations/funerals this year. Without exception, meaning if family/friends/whoever dies this year, I'll send flowers/card, but not attend. I NEED a break, and this year I'm on sabbatical from that whole ritual. (I never liked it, have my will/last wishes so that when I die, it'll be simple, done, finished without pomp and circumstance.)

2. Find a meaningful outlet, either with part-time job or volunteer work, which gives me a way to get out of the house but NOTHING full-time, or perhaps even regular hours. (Learned my lesson in the past year on that - what I want and don't want/can't tolerate. Life is too short to waste it dreading each and every day in a stressful job AT MY AGE, 56.)

3. Try not to gain weight, get some exercise every day (biking and/or walking the dogs) but not starve myself. Eat healthy and in moderation.

4. Writing? IF a have an idea that grabs me, won't let me go, I'll write either a story, article, poem and maybe do some freelance writing for the newspaper. But the ONLY article I will write for the newspaper will be MY IDEA, something I feel especially passionate about and not a routine 'assignment.'

5. Make a positive attempt to do more for the local animal welfare groups and animal shelter. I know it won't be easy, but there are so many needy dogs/cats in need of just a hug or direct interaction. I think it will be difficult emotionally, but the reward should be worthwhile in knowing I'm doing something (other than where my money will go when I'm dead).

And that's it. We shall see if I fulfill any of these resolutions.

~~~~~~~~

Here's a New Year's meme I grabbed off the net:

What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before?

I worked at the local daily newspaper -- learned a lot, realized I'm still capable of developing new, difficult skills (pagination). Felt great about some of the average people I wrote about, found that the stress of public pressure plus acrimony in the office was intolerable.

Did anyone close to you give birth?
No.

Did anyone close to you die?
My uncle and brother-in-law and a host of others less related. This has been going on at shorter and shorter intervals ever since DH died almost two years ago.

What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
More peace, less stress, true friendships and fulfilling work that makes me glad to be alive. Perhaps another small dog; I've been looking at Yorkies.

What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I'm not good with dates, but late May 2007 I went to work; late December 2007, I quit. And of course the deaths of my relatives.

What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Learning pagination (designing newspaper pages) with Quark. Learning I can write almost anything, given the rules. That I CAN hold down a demanding, stressful job with excellent pay; but that I DO NOT WANT TO DO THAT, because it leaves me no time to relax, smell the roses?!, love and pamper my critters, take care of ME. Not to mention no time to read novels, watch good movies, daydream and write creatively.

Where did most of your money go?
Savings, baby, savings! Ladies (married/single/widowed) here's a word of wisdom: save some money that is untouchable for any reason. You may need that one day, and that day is probably coming sooner than you dare realize.


Compared to this time last year, are you:

a) happier or sadder? Happier
b) thinner or fatter? Same
c) richer or poorer? Richer


What do you wish you’d done more of?
To my everlasting breath, I'll always wish I had written another novel. It's just so difficult to be chained to a year+ project at my age, but that is something I regret not having done at the end/beginning of every year. Which tells you where my heart is when it comes to WHAT I want to write.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm about to cook and eat some blackeye peas for good luck in 2008. (Not that I'm stupidstitious! *wink*)


Sunset from my backyard last week. Happy New Year Everyone!

Oscar enjoys being a pampered Doxie, apparently!

No comments: