My Novels

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Nearly burned the house down

Yep, I almost did tonight. Had bought two electric radiator oil-filled heaters, had them plugged in when I smelled a strong burning scent. Finally traced it to the plug/outlet, and pulled the plug...but the smell continued.

I called my brother-in-law and he helped me throw the circuit breaker so no power would be coming through the faulty outlet. I knew some of the outlets in this house needed replacing, because they were so loose stuff would almost fall out. I had no idea a fire could start, even AFTER the heater plug was pulled out.

To top it all off, all my PC was on that same circuit. That means I wouldn't be making this post if I didn't have the alternative of my little Eee laptop. Always have a backup 'puter if you want to stay connected.

And oh yeah, maybe not overtax your outlets with too much power -- especially if they need replacing. Jeesus H. Christ, I could be toast by now if the smell hadn't alerted me. There was a house fire just today in our county that is suspected to have started from a faulty outlet. Burned the house to the ground.

Ya know what I'll be doing tomorrow: Getting an electrician out here, pronto.

No comments: