My Novels

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Bored and tired

Spent most of the day scrubbing and cleaning, doing household chores, since the movement of furniture points out what NEEDS cleaning.

I'm in a blah mood, suffering with allegy problems complicated by the endless dry spell we're having in the South. It's near 60 degrees today, and storms are predicted for later this afternoon, so maybe a little rain will clear the air somewhat.

I quit the Lexapro antidepressant when I left my position at the newspaper. Some of the side effects were starting to bother me, like dry eyes and teeth grinding in my sleep. But I am beginning to feel mood swings, the depths of depression again -- my "normal" state before the meds. Ah well, so it goes.

I found an excellent entry about Bible verse babble on a blog; I want to post an excerpt, which is simply too good to pass up -- and true. So true it hurts.

Courtesy of Jon's Jail Journal

Bible passage:
For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.

This is a silly one. Whothafuck receives what they ask for? We get shit on so much in prison, there’s a sayin’: ‘You ain’t got nothin’ comin’’ Do you get everythin’ you ask for? Who does? Does Billy Graham? This quote was put together for control of the masses – the great unwashed – years ago, by the priests, the monks, the kings. I’ve read about it. They had what was called scriptoriums, rooms in monastries where they had scribes and monks who wrote shit to keep the mooches and masses in line. The priests thought, Hey, let’s tell this mooch he can come back from the dead and live forever in a mansion in the clouds or maybe have eighty-three virgins. That’s one of the major themes of all these religions: keepin’ the masses in line ’cause we don’t want motherfuckers pickin’ up their pitchforks and tryin’ to jack our shit. Some used Zeus, some Jesus, some Buddha, some Muhammad, some Shiva, some Thor – and we can go on and on since the dawn of early societies. When they were crawlin’ up in those caves at night, somewhere, one of those dudes thought, Hey, maybe I can con some mooches to go hunt today, and I’ll stay back and eat and fuck and lay in the sun. I know, I’ll tell ’em the gods want ’em out there wrestlin’ saber-toothed tigers, and bustin’ their asses while I get to kick it and fuck around with everybody’s daughters. That’s it in a nutshell. It’s nothin’ new. And it’s not gonna end as long as people exist. The strong will take from the weak, but the smart will take from the strong, and the poor unwashed masses will get fucked over. But it don’t matter. Let’s enjoy this ol’ life. I laugh every day. Make the most of it ’cause you’re not here for but a quick minute – and then you die.

No comments: