My Novels

Monday, March 24, 2003

I'm very busy today, doing some interviews, etc. But I did want to make a brief update, since I may not get time for another entry for a few days. What an AWFUL weekend -- all the grotesque war images on TV. I suppose it really is shocking to the younger generation, but after all, I grew up in the Era of Viet Nam coverage on TV, and such images were a nightly occurrence. The bad thing is that it took YEARS of such horror and waste in human lives before any momentum ever developed to stop the senseless violence and waste of war.

Let me say that I DO love my country, and I would never do anything intentionally to harm it or our security. But I didn't vote for Bush, and I especially think that when the Supreme Court stepped into a disputed voting count, it set a bad example of 'democracy.' I don't like Bush -- not then, not now. And I can't give his actions my 'stamp of approval' because...too many lives are being lost right now for something with a dubious outcome, to say the least.

We're all witnessing the darkest side of humanity...and I would like to hope for better times ahead for the world, but I am very sad and worried about the state of world affairs in general today.

Here's an article and excerpt from the Washington Post which makes me concerned about ever winning the minds/hearts of the Iraqi people:

Battles Rage in Iraqi Cities, Bodies Litter Desert

"There is fighting in the center, on the streets. It is terrible," said Hussein, a 24-year-old engineer who works for the state-run southern oil company in Basra.

"We don't want Americans here. This is Iraq."

One group of Iraqi boys on the side of the road smiled and waved as a convoy of British tanks and trucks rolled by.

But once it had passed, leaving a trail of dust and grit in its wake, their smiles turned to scowls.

"We don't want them here," said 17-year-old Fouad, looking angrily up at the plumes of gray smoke rising from Basra.

No comments: