My Novels

Thursday, August 12, 2004

Ladies and gentlemen, I now present to you the evidence that we humans have very, very strange behavior at times -- and that we do indeed live in a mad, mad world.

480-pound woman dies after six years on couch

She lived in filth, so large she couldn't move from her sofa, even to use the bathroom.

Early Wednesday, still fused to the couch, Gayle Laverne Grinds died following a six-hour effort by rescue workers who struggled to lift the 480-pound woman and get her to a Martin County hospital.

Unable to separate the skin of the 39-year-old woman from her sofa, 12 Martin County Fire-Rescue workers slid both onto a trailer and hauled her behind a pickup to Martin Memorial Hospital South. She died a short time later....

"I tried to take care of her the best I could," said 54-year-old Herman Thomas, who lived with Grinds in the duplex apartment in Golden Gate, south of Stuart. "I tried to get her to get up, but it wouldn't do no good."

He said the woman that he called his wife hadn't been off the couch for six years. No record of their marriage could be found.

"I wish I could have pulled her off the couch, but she wouldn't let me," he said, covering his face and sobbing.

Inside the home, the floor and walls were matted with feces, and trash was strewn across the floors, some which were bare concrete. Furniture was toppled, and pictures were knocked off walls.

Unidentified relatives expressed anger at the scene.

"Family members are upset.... It's a difficult position," Martin County Fire-Rescue specialist Chris Wisniewski said.

Clifford Grinds, who is believed to be Gayle Grinds' brother, refused comment and slammed a door when contacted by a reporter at his Hobe Sound home Wednesday afternoon.

Court records show Gayle Grinds cared for a young niece and nephew after the death of her sister in 1992. Those children are now 19 and 15, but their whereabouts were unclear Wednesday.

This is an excerpt only; you can read the entire article by clicking on the headline. What a weird situation, and you have to wonder if the woman was trying to commit suicide. Isn't there an easier way though? What about her so-called husband/family? Who the heck brought her tons of food to stay that HUGELY OBESE? There is going to be an investigation, but here's a little tip folks: When you have been on the couch so long and you are so fat you can't get up, you need HELP.

Another thought: The vivid descriptions in that article sure could make me lose my appetite. Just save it, and when you get that urge to really chow down on something you KNOW you don't need, read that again.

As for my weight, I'm staying at 100 lbs, which seems to be just right for me. I try to eat healthy, not starve, and not overeat. With the regular biking, I seem to stay where I am without any gain.

I spent most of the morning cleaning house, doing some stuff I needed to do. More painting outside later this afternoon, and it is an IDEAL day here. A cool front came through, and it is a mild 79 degrees today. Unheard of in the South in August! Love it, love it, love it. The weekend is supposed to also be this nice. We do need rain, but maybe next week we'll have some showers.

Now I have to get busy with some writing.

No comments: