My Novels

Sunday, June 08, 2008

Random Stuff

I went to see "Sex & the City" yesterday, and enjoyed the movie. Of course, I've been a fan of the HBO series for some time, though I'd never watched it until DH died. Once it was aired on regular stations, I started watching...and was hooked. Mostly I loved the women friendships, and their search for a good relationship with a man. All too few. I think what made it interesting to me after DH died is that I was alone again, and wondering IF I wanted to find another relationship.

Though I won't give away any details or spoilers, I'd highly recommend the movie to anyone who was a fan of the series. I will add that there was not a male in the theater -- and that was fine with all the women. We just enjoyed it, and smiled at the lack of male "understanding."

Insofar as my own widow/single status, I'm convinced it will remain for the rest of my life. I am, seriously, just not that into men - or the whole concept of the sacrifices necessary for a male/female relationship. Love...well, as Tina Turner used to sing: "What has love got to do with it?" Though she was possibly speaking of sex, I have come to realize the pain/turmoil, etc of a relationship just isn't worth it.

But then again, I'm a loner. Always have been, always will be. So take that for what it's worth. (And oh yeah, being a loner/writer/artistic person is another reason I didn't want children...which is a never-ending obligation for socializing with them, their friends, their offspring, etc.)

Please don't hate me because I'm brutally HONEST. LOL

Otherwise, it's hot as Hades here. No kidding. I KNOW summers in the South are torture, but this year...it's happened TOO FAST. The creek only a block from where I live has started to dry up again; if we don't get more rain soon, I predict another serious drought in the South this year. If that happens, according to weather forecasters, it'll be even worse than last year since we really never recovered from that previous dry spell.

And gas prices? Let's not even go there...or rather, let's all just learn to park our butts at the house and stay put. Or for those unfortunate enough to have a long commute to work, just hope you earn enough to buy gas back and forth to work.

Why is it that, long, long ago (in a near and dear country, USA) no one noticed that Prez Carter tried to give us ALL a wake-up call about gas/oil? Younger folks don't even remember it, I'm sure; but their parents SHOULD. Shame on them if they didn't see the handwriting on the wall -- cause the younger generations are now reaping the whirlwind.

I have curtailed my driving for only necessities, and having moved back to within just blocks of doing necessary shopping, I'm doing fine. However, it's still a struggle as the price of everything is increasing overnight. I'd like to buy a used golf cart for errands in town, and I'm looking into it.

I'm not all gloom-and-doom, but things look to be more bleak in the future before the light at the end of this dark tunnel. (Possibly a 50-year tunnel, due to many factors.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't blame you a bit. If I were to loose my dh, then that would be it for me. No other man could measure up anyhow, and it wouldn't be fair to make them try.

I am very much a loner as well. The Farmer teases me that I could live on top of the mountain alone as long as I had my Internet connection, and the only time I'd be upset is if someone knocked on the door. :) Tis true.

Gas prices. Sigh. Painful, very painful. We honestly don't drive much comparatively speaking, but we're doing even less now. The big truck that is so necessary for us is over $75 to fill up now. Needless to say if we need feed, we buy at least a ton of it, and do all our other shopping at the same time. (it's 85 miles one way to the big town)