My Novels

Saturday, January 11, 2003

Today's prompt: If you found out for certain there is a Heaven and a Hell, how would you change your life?

Now this is indeed thought-provoking. I also find it absurd. I am an agnostic, but let me assume for a second that I could believe Heaven and Hell exist.

Firstly, I'd have to know which version of Heaven and Hell to believe in.

Would it be the Christian Heaven and Hell? If so, couldn't I start to believe in Jesus, be saved, and instantly find entrance into Heaven --regardless of trangressions? Or perhaps I should become a Catholic, confess my sins, repent and then find acceptance into Heaven?

Or should I become a Muslim extremist, make my pilgrimage to Mecca and then enter those Golden Gates? I could crash planes into tall buildings and STILL enter Heaven, eh?

Or should I become a Buddist, raise my spiritual consciousness above all mortal needs/wants and find Nirvana? {This one pleases me somewhat personally.}

Or should I accept Hinduism and hope for a better life in my next reincarnation?

You see the problem, don't you? I've studied ALL world religions/spiritual beliefs, and find that you must eliminate rational thinking in order to believe in any religion. Frankly, how would you choose which one to believe? Or perhaps you shouldn't study them all to begin with? As the saying goes: Ignorance is bliss.

In truth, I would change NOTHING about my life if I believed in ANY religious Heaven and Hell. I think that one should live their lives to be happy HERE and NOW, because we have NO guarantee that such utopias or nightmarish places exist beyond our human realm.

I do believe we humans create our own Heavens and Hells right here on Earth. If you are doubtful, just look around and read the news...you'll have to see what I mean.

No comments: