My Novels

Tuesday, January 21, 2003

I went on my bike ride yesterday afternoon, and then early this morning. We're having pleasant temperatures, mild, so it was perfect for riding in the park. I am staying at 90 pounds, just maintaining this current weight. I watch what I eat, and don't overdo it.

I found a few interesting articles, wanted to put links to them here:

10 Emerging Technologies That Will Change the World

EXCERPT:

Every year, more than 700,000 patients in the United States undergo joint replacement surgery. The procedure—in which a knee or a hip is replaced with an artificial implant—is highly invasive, and many patients delay the surgery for as long as they can. Jennifer Elisseeff, a biomedical engineer at Johns Hopkins University, hopes to change that with a treatment that does away with surgery entirely: injectable tissue engineering. She and her colleagues have developed a way to inject joints with specially designed mixtures of polymers, cells, and growth stimulators that solidify and form healthy tissue. “We’re not just trying to improve the current therapy,” says Elisseeff. “We’re really trying to change it completely.”


Well worth the time to read. You can learn something from it, like I did.

====

'Blog' trend provides virtual soapbox

EXCERPT:

WASHINGTON, Jan. 18 (UPI) -- Web logs, or "blogs," are proliferating across the Internet, providing individuals a soapbox on which to sound off on topics ranging from politics to pet care. It is the former topic area -- politics -- where experts say these online diaries are having growing impact.

"You could say Web logs cost Trent Lott his job," said Michael Cornfield, who follows the "blog" trend closely as director of research for George Washington University's Democracy Online Project.

"The mainstream media largely ignored Lott's remarks at Strom Thurmond's birthday party. It was Web logs, both liberal and conservative, that reported the incident and kept it alive," Cornfield said.


Interesting idea, that blogs are influencing anyone anywhere. I'm not so sure myself, but I DO like keeping this online journal, whether I'm ranting against something or musing about my personal life, opinions, etc.

And that's it for today.



No comments: