My Novels

Wednesday, May 08, 2002

Well, some bad news: I found one of the kittens dead Sunday morning. It was the runt, and from the start, it seemed lethargic and not very aggressive about feeding. However, it was alive late Saturday night. I don't know what happened, but suspect it might have not been as healthy as the others, or that it had a defect I couldn't see. I've read that sometimes mama cats will ignore/neglect a sickly kitten, so the other stronger ones will have a better chance at survival. I didn't notice that happening, but if that was the case, and I'd known it, I'd have taken the weak one out and handfed it. As it was, I got upset and then worried that perhaps the mama didn't have enough milk, so I went out and bought some of the supplemental milk for kittens. However, when I offered it with a special small bottle and nipple, the kittens didn't want it, so I assume they are getting enough. One of my friends told me to feel of their bellies, see if they felt full...and they all do, so I think they will be fine. At least I hope so.

I went on the bike ride this morning, and even though I wore shorts, I still got hot. It's in the 80s here today, supposed to be even warmer tomorrow but with a cool front and storms on the way.

I have been so busy caring for the cats/kittens that I haven't been able to stay online for over thirty minutes at a time. I like to keep an eye on the kittens, since that one died Saturday night, make sure the mama is feeding them. She does seem to be feeding enough, but I have spoiled her silly by giving her can food and treats, like canned tuna, so that she now doesn't want to eat dry food. I bought some very high quality dry food for mother cats who are nursing, but now she doesn't want to eat that. It's strange how quickly you can spoil a stray cat that was used to eating only dry, low-quality food!

The other cats are keeping their distance, but occasionally have peeked at the kittens when the mama would let them. They are all going through another adjustment, and it's been sort of crazy around here. Last night, Pretty, the mama cat, came inside for the first time and seems able to leave the kittens for a little longer period. I'm hoping the kittens open their eyes by this next weekend. I'm eager for them to get bigger, because at this point they are just too helpless and fragile (much like a human infant) and I don't like the dependence factor. I guess I don't have much of a 'maternal' instinct when it comes to helpless infants of any kind! Now when the kittens get about four weeks old, they will then start being adorable, and I really enjoy them. But as for human infants, well, it takes at least 20 years before I'm interested in them!

The online writing courses began Monday, and I already have two of the assignments finished and posted. I was expecting a bit more, I suppose, in the way of interaction between instructor/classmates, but since it's all done via an online bulletin board, maybe I was just too eager. Anyway, I still have one assignment to do, and will get that done soon.

Not much else to report...

No comments: