My Novels

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Friday night musings

Since I can never force myself to write a journal entry during the day, I decided to use the QuickPad tonight. I have a dull headache, which never seems to go away. I know it's from sinus stuffiness, though I am taking an assortment of medications. Prescription Allegra works well, but even that has failed in the past week. I quit it yesterday, and have resorted to OTC stuff. The darn co-pay on Allegra is over $20.00 for a little more than two weeks supply...and that is just too high. To top it all off, my acid reflux has started acting up again, bad enough that I feel nauseous.

Recently I received a newsletter about sinus/allergy problems, and found this excerpt interesting but alarming:

Pollen in Multiples

Researchers are predicting pollen counts could double within the next 50 years. This might be because of the earth's rising levels of carbon dioxide, an effect of global warming. This process could increase the amount of pollen in plants, causing more allergens. This may result in more people suffering from allergies.


Kinda relieved I won't be around that long; my allergies are bad enough now, and I can't imagine how much worse people will suffer at that future date!

I think some of my depression lately is worrying about medical problems. DH still takes a s--tload of medication to help prevent further complications of hardening of the arteries. He has two small partial blockages in his heart, and hopefully the medication will help avoid another stent procedure. Our co-pay on his medications runs around $150.00 a month, mostly due to Plavix and Lipitor. If the pharmaceutical companies would STOP advertising drugs that no one wants to know about, they could sell the damn medication for less! Greed -- isn't that one of the seven deadly sins?

At any rate, all I foresee in the future of our aging is more and more high-priced drugs for ailments that, let's face it, are due to AGING. At some point, I am sure the cost and side-effects are simply not worth it. No one lives forever, you know? Eventually the quality of life must match the quanity, and that is when you have to say, "Enough is enough." I am sure that is how I feel, but to each their own opinion.

End of rant.

I did enjoy my overnight stay wity my sister. Occasionally I don't mind a long drive, and that was one of those times. Fun to just DRIVE and listen to the radio. I found a new route mostly on two-lane blacktop country roads, and that was a nice treat.

My sister and I went to a nearby nature preserve. It was an absolutely GREAT place to walk, hike or bike. There are over 500 acres of wilderness area, donated to the city in the late 90s, and it is wonderful for nature lovers. There's dirt paths all along creeks and swampy lowland; there's a paved path just for bikers and even horse riding trails. My sister said she and my brother-in-law once saw three deer crossing a creek! If I lived there, I would be in biking heaven on those trails; I'd ride every day possible. As it is, I still risk my life riding my bike on these county roads...went Thursday afternoon, and had a good ride. But I digress...

My sister is still recuperating from her breast cancer surgery, but seems well. And according to all tests, she is now cancer-free too.

DH will be off the first week of November and December to finish his vacation time. We have several projects around here, as usual. He bought a 10X24 trailer last week; it was once used as an office, and he plans to place it near the barn, convert it into a tack/saddle shop. So we have some work to do on that, cleaning, removing old carpet, etc. Plus, he wants to get electricity to the barn, as well as the garage and small wash-house (which we use for storage.) I'm sure we'll stay busy.

DH has sold three horse trailers in the past week. He also sold a horse, Slick, who has been here since we moved in. I hated to see Slick leave; I'd been giving him treats, and could yell his name, whistle and he'd come from wherever he was in the pasture for a treat! Being Buttercup's colt, he dearly loves to eat -- and is a beautiful registered Quarterhorse. But DH got a huge price for him, and as always, with an understanding if the buyer wants to sell ever sell him, DH gets first chance to buy him back. The buyer just lives a few miles down the road, so we'll still see Slick from time-to-time. But I will miss him, although we have four more quarterhorses out there as well as a young mule! Good thing we have that large barn!

We are in need of rain desperately. If it would rain, I think my sinus problems would clear up. All the grass is dead, and our leaves have dried up instead of turning into glorious colors.

I would write more, but my headache seems to be getting worse...so that's it for tonight.

No comments: