My Novels

Saturday, January 19, 2002

Rainy, rainy dreary day in Dixie. Soaking rain when I woke this morning, so no biking. But I'll use my ski machine tonight, and get a regular workout.

I had one of those nights when I dream constantly, but can barely remember the content when I wake. I love to watch TLC or Discovery programs before I go to sleep, and especially documentaries about ancient Egypt, archaeology, or space/cosmos programs. Sometimes these lull me sleep, but other times, I learn a great deal.

In my previous entries, I've referred to the major cosmic disasters that could befall the Earth. I also realize that mankind itself is the main threat, in that we have the means of self-destruction. Either way, I do believe that there MIGHT be some sort of cosmic/natural principle at work which always destroys any lifeform that develops in the cosmos; that way, it is self-correcting. We humans, and all lifeforms on Earth -- as well as any other alien lifeform -- could be aberrations, and the asteroid/comets/gamma ray bursts that hit Earth every few hundred thousand years (see previous entries for articles on this) are a means of elimination.

What I find somewhat humorous is that Americans think our country is the best, our society the greatest...and yet, we're barely 200 years old. Think of the ancient Egyptian culture that lasted over 3,000 years and still perished eventually... In that context, our country looks rather young and untried; I don't see it lasting 3,000 years!

I guess I'm getting old, because with all the developments lately (terrorism and resulting high-security measures) I really don't want to live in the kind of world I foresee as a future. It resembles George Orwell's '1984' too much, with Big Brother breathing down your neck, strip-searches at public gatherings, censorship, little freedom -- and all for what? Security? Safety? Let's face it, LIFE is risky and when you trade off freedom for security, you will lose. I don't want to live in that kind of repressive future world.

Now to the news excerpts:

Go read this full article, which will open your eyes to the coming military spending and loss of freedoms if you are at all curious about our future.

Making Money on Terror

A recent Washington Post/ABC News poll found that more than two-thirds of poll respondents expected the war on terrorism to diminish funding for other needed programs, but that more than half of those surveyed felt the sacrifice was worth it. That view would surely change if more people knew how much of the Pentagon's new largesse is serving the needs of special interests rather than the national interest.

~~~~~~~

GOP Touts War as Campaign Issue


AUSTIN, Jan. 18 -- President Bush's top political adviser said today that Republicans will make the president's handling of the war on terrorism the centerpiece of their strategy to win back the Senate and keep control of the House in this year's midterm elections.

"We can go to the country on this issue because they trust the Republican Party to do a better job of protecting and strengthening America's military might and thereby protecting America," Karl Rove said at the Republican National Committee meeting here.


~~~~~~~~
Bahhhawwwa! I'm laughing about this, because if I didn't, I'd be crying. Trade off our freedom for security? When there is NO SUCH THING as security in life itself?

Are the majority of Americans so blind that they don't realize Bush & Company have brought us nothing but war, economic recession, and massive military spending -- without explaining exactly HOW Sept. 11th happened in the first place? I don't buy into conspiracy theories, but I find it VERY strange that the last plane hit the Pentagon. It strains credulity that no fighter jets intercepted that last plane; they must have had time. I can understand how the two planes hit the WTC, but I cannot imagine a way a plane could have managed to hit the Pentagon without any interference from fighter jets. So I would like a full congressional investigation into EXACTLY why Sept. 11th happened at all. Something seems weird about the entire disaster.
~~~~~~~

And lastly, here's a good link if you want to have an informed opinion on whether the press/media is censored these days:

Columbia Journalism Review

Remember this quote, it could become true: "Fascism should more appropriately be called corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power." -Mussolini.

No comments: