My Novels

Friday, January 11, 2002

Here comes a gripe session about the PC upgrade!

I called the lady at the shop, and she said the tech was STILL having trouble reformatting the hard-drive. Said he needed a floppy restore disk that should have come with the PC. I searched through all the material with the PC (which I have carefully kept in a box!) and could NOT find the floppy. So I went online, and contacted Compaq support, which replied within an hour via email (thank goodness somebody is working right!)

Anyhow, the Compaq support said a restore floppy did not ship with that model of PC. So he gave explicit instructions how to make a floppy restore disk off the restore CD that came with it. I printed it out, took it to the computer shop, and by then I was really getting angry. After all, if I'm going to have to give the tech instructions, why should I pay him to do anything?

I also checked on the Compaq website, and found out that you can buy 64 MGs of RAM for $24.99. The lady at the shop told me it cost $40.00. And to top it all off, she said that the RAM still had not come in. I took my computer into that shop Monday, and so far, all they've done is render it inoperable.

When I told her how much I could get the RAM for, she said they ordered from a different place. And the darn tech guy was OUT, not even available to talk with me. When she saw I was angry, she said they could hold off on the RAM upgrade.

As I headed out of the shop (before I really let her have a piece of my mind!) I just said, "We'll see. Right now I just want that computer working the way it was when I brought it in here."

What IS it with computer shops? Am I just unlucky, or is it always this way?

No comments: