My Novels

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Burnt Cookies

Okay, I know some of my readers will think, "Ah, NOW she's totally lost her mind." But...bear with me.

The other day I was watching Oprah and she had a female guest, Anousheh Ansari, who had "lived her dream" of going into space. Yep, Ansari had the big bucks, 20 mil, and paid her way into orbit. I don't really have any objections to people doing this, since there is no use in elaborating on what 20 mil would do to help starving, screaming, sick humans/animals, so don't even think of that pointless reasoning. No one wants to hear about that, otherwise there wouldn’t BE starvation, suffering, wars, stupidity the world over.

At any rate, when the spacecraft docked with the space-station, the astronauts told Ansari she'd get a whiff of what outer space smells like. It would be brief, fleeting, but indeed, she could "smell" space. And of course, Oprah asked her, "So what did it smell like?" And Ansari said, "Burnt cookies."

I almost fell out of my chair laughing...with mirth. Come on, there is a LOT of burning/blazing/exploding stars and stuff is REALLY cooking (at evil hot temps) all over the cosmos, so of course, it smells like something is burning.

Then I laughed even harder, because it occurred to me that...what if...we are ALL (the cosmos included) actually in HELL, with all this burning going on, and don't realize it? I have always thought that humanity and earth, and possibly the whole shebang (cosmos too) is some sort of crazy, awful dungeon from which escape is impossible (except via death -- which might be even worse). Isn't that the Biblical definition of Hell? I'd say we are closer to Hell than Heaven, by any estimation.

Oh, you don't agree? IF we were all in Hell, wouldn't there be groups who'd think not, who'd think it was actually Heaven, that we condemned humans were special, some who'd make-up religious crap, who'd try to "figure it all out" as scientist do (but be stymied at every turn)...on and on, ad nauseam?

Just think about it: that's your philosophy lesson for today from yours truly, Mad, Mad World.

P.S. I’m NOT in a depressed mood; just thought this idea was too good to pass up!!

No comments: