My Novels

Sunday, June 12, 2005

New PC

It's a long, verrrry long story...but suffice to say I'm writing this new post on a NEW computer. My old '97 model Compaq was on the verge of dying, and I'd been looking for a new PC, but had not found anything (online or offline) that I truly wanted.

Friday afternoon, along with the frequent freezes/crashes on the old PC, a LOUD roar started coming from the hard drive and I knew that meant a hard drive failure was about to happen. I exercised strict caution in shutting it down, then only using to save what files/programs I could without total drive failure. By Saturday afternoon I had saved the most important material, but knew that was pushing it, to say the least. At any rate, my laptop ALSO was suffering from some sort of modem problem, and I couldn't get online with it either. Therefore, I decided I'd buy the Emachines Model W3052 PC at Wal-Mart.

One of my sisters has had two Emachines, and says she never had any problems! Others I know have bought Dells and Gateways (btw, Gateway now owns Emachines), and have had serious trouble -- but fortunately all within the warranty period. I have had two "refurbished PCs" and from the very first, problems. I knew I wanted a brand NEW one this time.

At any rate, I bought the Emachines at Wal-Mart for $592.00 -- flat 17" CRT monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse AND hard drive with 512 MG of RAM, 120 GB hard drive space, and a 3000 Sempron processor, DVD-RW (double layer). Have a full year's warranty, with l5 day guarantee of full refund at the local Wal-Mart (and that is more important than one would think, since I can carry it back if it suddenly goes AWOL).

I'm verrrry pleased so far. It is very quiet, compared to the old Compaq; it is fast, easy to learn Windows XP home edition, and I'm have FUN at the computer compared to the ordeal it had become in the past six months of crashes/freezes.

Anyhow, this isn't much of a post, just an update to record what is happening here. If anyone has sent email, I promise to answer soon. I'm still getting my favorite programs downloaded, installed and other things (QuickPad, Palm, etc) attached and set-up, so please be patient.

That's it for today, since Sunday is a day with DH.

No comments: