My Novels

Friday, March 31, 2006

Trying week

It's been a real difficult week, mostly due to some of DH's past horse buddies. I am SURE they meant well, but one dropped by a couple days ago and got me so upset I cried for hours afterward. I am uncertain if the guy was just lacking in sensitivity, or simply trying to make a buck (he was mostly a "trading/selling/buying buddy), but by the time he left (after 3 hours) I was in tears.

Lots of drama ensued, some of it concerning the last, favorite horse DH had (Harley) and several buddies wanting that horse. I had allowed my nephew to take Harley out to a friend's pasture, and he was still training him. At any rate, before it was all said and done, Harley ended up at my brother-in-law's house (Daniel's dad) and will stay there till the feud over who gets him ends. It boggles the mind, but the LAST thing on earth DH would have wanted was for all his horse buddies to get into a fight. I asked them, while crying, if they couldn't simply get along for the sake of DH's memory and myself.

Like I said, it's been a emotionally trying week.

On the upside, today there was a yard sale/open house at the old historic home in the photo below. I went, and so did my sister who was here visiting. I still really, really love that old house -- and I truly believe the contractor who gave me estimates, could bring it back to life. The price of it keeps dropping, and it's astounding what I can buy it for now. I am fairly sure I WILL buy it and have it renovated.

I also talked to the owners today at the open house, and learned that one of the original German business people who settled the town once owned that house. Definitely, I will have an abstract done for the deed, to learn the history. And the 80-year-old woman who lives next door (in a beautiful two-story historic house) can also provide some of that house history.

The guy who is renting my barn/pasture said today he'll have an appraiser out here this next week to take a look at this place. And IF I am still willing to sell, he wants to buy the place. Yes, I DO want to sell and get away from here...simply because there is no end to the assortment of people dropping by to ask this or that, want this or that of DH's stuff. The renter will also keep my little ponies here, and take care of them. So it looks like a win-win situation to me. He will have to agree to let me live here UNTIL the historic house in town is renovated and ready to move into, but I'm sure he'll have no problem with that.

He and his wife have been riding their horses each afternoon in the pasture, and I can see they really love that. So either they, or their son, will probably move into this house after the sell goes through.

One of my sister's, her husband and son visited today. Their son, my nephew, is in college, plans to be an architect. He looked at the old historic house in town, and said it had distinct possibilities. He gave me some tips, and I will use those in the renovation.

Tired tonight, so I'll stop now. I've been working on the time capsule to put in the attic of this house...since I want that to remain here. I am planning to write a special feature on the "bad luck" that has befallen some of the men who owned this place, but the capsule is NOT to be opened for 50 years. If other owners wish to make their own capsules to put in the attic, it would surely prove interesting to any future owners 50 years from now.

No comments: