My Novels

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Just trying to stay busy, busy, busy until the day of my sister's surgery: this Thursday. I did some touch-up painting today, which took most of the afternoon. Tomorrow I have some extensive house-cleaning to do, just in case we have to spend a lot of time at the hospital and/or away from home.

I have spent some time also (occasionally) researching info about mammograms. Here's a link that is interesting:

Mammograms proven no help in preventing death from breast cancer

I don't know whether I believe the article, but I DO have doubt that a mammogram is more helpful than harmful. I ALWAYS felt this way, even though my GYN nearly went ballistic every time I REFUSED to have one over the years. Though some "experts" say you only receive the amount of radiation from a mammogram that you would traveling in a jet from one coast of the U.S. to the other, it IS DIRECT radiation upon your breast.

The thing that strikes me as odd: so many women who are having "regular" mammograms are also "getting early stage cancer." But what IF these discovered masses are in fact there in ALL women, but NEVER become cancerous or grow? Could mammogram radiation CAUSE these pre-cancerous cells to activate, and start growing? Just something I've been pondering.

Here's another interesting article on that topic:

Mammograms don't raise cancer survival: study

I'll try to update tomorrow sometimes...if possible. That's it for now.

No comments: