My Novels

Friday, July 23, 2010

HOT, HOT, HOT!

No joking, it's verrrrrrrrry hot here in the South. Don't believe me, here's a photo of the temperature gauge on my back porch (click to enlarge)

Looks like either 101 or 100!

I went to the park around ten, walked the dogs in the wooded area. Also picked up a Redbox movie, "The Hurt Locker." It's been out for some time, had rave reviews/awards, about time I watched it tonight.

Summer in the South, everything slows down to a crawl. After five on weekdays, nothing is moving...town is deserted, no cars, no one walking or biking. The air seems to stagnate, not even a breeze, suffocating.

I bike in early morning, and the park is mostly shaded. My back yard will have to be mowed tomorrow morning, but I'll do it very early, stay hydrated.

From near noon till sunset, it's just unbearably uncomfortable to get outdoors. Air conditioning in this weather is a necessity, and almost no one is without it. The stray cats retreat to their special hiding places, under houses, in deep shaded grassy spots and only come out near dark for the can food I feed.

I'm absorbed with a writing project, and the heat gives me an excuse to hunker down and WRITE!

However, I did want to write this brief post as a record of the extreme heat wave we're having here. We've had 95+ temperatures for over a week now, culminating in 100+ for the past two days!

Now back to the work-in-progress...

No comments: