My Novels

Monday, May 25, 2009

Fresh salad greens!

Here I present evidence of my labor of love in my small "salad" garden:

Gourmet greens/baby spinach on left, small Swiss Chard on right. I grew these from seeds planted directly into the ground!

And let me tell you, they were DELICIOUS in the large salad I had for my lunch!

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! LOL

The best part: this patch should last for a good long while, and I already have another small patch of lettuce in another shady spot of the yard. Plus, I have a half row of Swiss Chard in the large garden; it is very versatile, eaten fresh in salads or even cooked like spinach, highly nutritious. As a bonus, it does well in the hot summer weather we have here in the South, whereas lettuce varieties tend to wither away.

Anyway, I just wonder how much fresh food could be grown ONLY in the space folks use for ornamental flowers/shrubs around their houses (waste, waste, waste!)? Something to think about.

I took the dogs on a walk in a newly created wooded walking trail here in town, and they loved it. It's very close to where I live, and a good place to walk when it's hot or they just need a short 1/2 mile walk.

Then I got ambitious and painted my mailbox, which was in dire need of it! I'm on a trial of Netflix, and hated putting the movies in such a rundown mailbox. My postal box doesn't see the traffic it did years ago when I was writing letters to people, and sending out manuscripts. Ah, memories...

1 comment:

KFarmer said...

There is nothing better than fresh food out of your own garden. Yours looks quite lovely :)

We had another inch of rain last night... good by squash! The little babes are already started to mold. Dang it! The good news is the weather is going to start clearing on Sunday NO MORE RAIN so maybe I can salvage a few... if they don't drown first :)